Follow Us @burtonreview

Sep 29, 2009

Teaser Tuesday~ The Life and Death of Anne Boleyn by Ives

TEASER TUESDAYS is hosted by ShouldBeReading and asks you to:
♠Grab your current read.
♠Let the book fall open to a random page.
♠Share with us two (2) “teaser” sentences from that page.
♠You also need to share the title of the book that you’re getting your “teaser” from … that way people can have some great book recommendations if they like the teaser you’ve given!
Please avoid spoilers!

I am STILL reading the book from last week's teaser.. I warned you it was a big one.. so I picked a teaser from Eric Ives' book The Life and Death of Anne Boleyn, which I really want to read soon.


In the Chapter titled FINALE:

"It stood three of four feet high, draped in black, surrounded by perhaps a thousand spectators: the lord mayor and alderman come to see the king's justice done, and behind then 'certain of the best crafts of London' - no foreigners- Englishmen and women come to see the first English queen executed. And around the scaffold itself the faces she knew so well: Thomas Audley, the lord chancellor, whom she had seen at her last trial; Charles Brandon, duke of Suffolk, whose life had been so entwined with her own, ever since her journey to France as a 13-year-old attendant on the king's sister Mary, who had married Brandon, had hated her and was now dead; Henry Fitzroy her 17-year-old stepson, who had only nine weeks to live; and Thomas Crowmwell, who had climbed to power behind Anne, and now had to destroy her in order to retain that power."

Anne's speech at the scaffold:

"Good Christian people, I am come hither to die, for according to the law, and by the law I am judged to die, and therefore I will speak nothing against it. I am come hither to accuse no man, nor to speak anything of that, whereof I am accused and condemned to die, but I pray God save the king and send him long to reign over you, for a gentler nor a more merciful prince was there never: and to me he was ever a good, a gentle and sovereign lord. And if any person will meddle of my cause, I require them to judge the best. And thus I take my leave of the world and of you all, and I heartily desire you all to pray for me. O Lord have mercy on me, to God I commend my soul....To Jesus Christ I commend my soul; Lord Jesu receive my soul."