Follow Us @burtonreview

Dec 23, 2013

Burton Book Review's Best Reads of 2013

Although I read fewer books this year than last, I feel I have read some wonderful reads still. These were given five stars as I tend to write reviews soon after reading, and if I really feel like I loved the book and totally enjoyed the experience, I gave it five stars. There is no order to this list, plus this list will comprise of reads that I physically read in 2013 but not necessarily published in 2013. I got lucky that I had an even round of ten books this year to make the five star distinction.

Click titles to read my reviews:


The Secret Magdalene by Ki Longfellow


The Heiress of Winterwood by Sarah Ladd









The Summer Queen by Elizabeth Chadwick





The Tutor's Daughter by Julie Klassen


Shadows and Strongholds by Elizabeth Chadwick

Draw the Circle by Mark Batterson  (pictured with the Bible that I also read this year, of course I have to include that title here too)

So there were a lot of inspirational fiction which actually surprised me, but don't let that term deter you from reading most of these that were very very very light on the "biblical" side. These stories are full of romance and hope, and lots of drama. And HISTORICAL! My favorite genre is historical fiction, and over the last few years I have jumped into the inspirational side of history as I was bored of Kings and Queens in Europe. I enjoy reading about the struggles of earlier Americans, and it turns out there is a huge market of these in the inspirational genre. Best of two worlds!

And it is interesting to note that I continue to read more female writers as well (there was a facebook conversation about this).. I tend to lean towards females in general as far as fiction goes. It's just a personal preference.

As far as 2014 goes, I expect to review more romance and hopefully I'll be finding some new authors to enjoy. I have no idea honestly at this point which genres/sub-genres I will actually gravitate towards, it seems that the publishers don't always publish what I'm in the mood for currently, so I might just visit the local library more often especially since my son is getting more and more interested in going there. That's a great thing to this mama!