Follow Us @burtonreview

Sep 7, 2009

Mailbox Monday~ Happy Labor Day!!!

Welcome to The Burton Review Mailbox Monday Mailbox Monday is hosted by Marcia at The Printed Page. We share what books that we found in our mailboxes last week. And I am adding what I purchased, swapped, etc.

For review from Sourcebooks, I received:

Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy: The Last Man in the World by Abigail Reynolds (January 1, 2010)


Just when you thought the Darcy sequels were over... well..... I think we've got another year to go..
"In this sexy Jane Austen sequel, Elizabeth Bennet accepts Mr. Darcy's first marriage proposal, answering the "What if...?" question fans everywhere have pondered..
"I had not known you a month before I felt that you were the last man in the world whom I could ever be prevailed on to marry."
Famous last words indeed! Elizabeth Bennet's furious response to Mr. Darcy's marriage proposal has resonated for generations of readers. But what if she had never said it? Would she have learned to recognize Mr. Darcy's admirable qualities on her own? Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy follows Elizabeth and Darcy as they struggle to find their way through the maze of their prejudices after Elizabeth, against her better judgment, agrees to marry Darcy instead of refusing his proposal.
Two of the most beloved characters in English literature explore the meaning of true love in a tumultuous and passionate attempt to make a success of their marriage
."



The Heretic Queen From Michelle Moran, I received a signed copy of the new paperback, The Heretic Queen, by Michelle Moran =)

"In ancient Egypt, a forgotten princess must overcome her family’s past and remake history. The winds of change are blowing through Thebes. A devastating palace fire has killed the Eighteenth Dynasty’s royal family—all with the exception of Nefertari, the niece of the reviled former queen, Nefertiti. The girl’s deceased family has been branded as heretical, and no one in Egypt will speak their names. A relic of a previous reign, Nefertari is pushed aside, an unimportant princess left to run wild in the palace. But this changes when she is taken under the wing of the Pharaoh’s aunt, then brought to the Temple of Hathor, where she is educated in a manner befitting a future queen. Soon Nefertari catches the eye of the Crown Prince, and despite her family’s history, they fall in love and wish to marry. Yet all of Egypt opposes this union between the rising star of a new dynasty and the fading star of an old, heretical one. While political adversity sets the country on edge, Nefertari becomes the wife of Ramesses the Great. Destined to be the most powerful Pharaoh in Egypt, he is also the man who must confront the most famous exodus in history. Sweeping in scope and meticulous in detail, The Heretic Queen is a novel of passion and power, heartbreak and redemption."

From Paperbackswap on recommendation of Misfit, the sequel to last weeks add of Penmarric:

Cashelmara Cashelmara by Susan Howatch:Another nice hardcover Book Club edition.

"The rich and mighty saga of a wealthy and titled English family in Ireland during the 19th century."
Mom already snagged it from me. I had it for a day... but that's okay, she's not going anywhere. Sharing my books is the one thing I can actually DO for her.


And also from Paperbackswap, Harry S Truman, by daughter Margaret Truman, a biography and memoir. Which I do not have many of. This is an old 1973 dusty musty book.. does anyone have a cure for the musty book smell? My nose is highly sensitive and I might not be able to handle it, since this one is like over 600 pages and if I get a headache every time I open it... argh... that is the only criticism I have of Paperbackswap, you really have no control of what you are going to get. I do have special conditions on my requests that state please don't send those with an odor, but they still get through. I got a book from there that was full of dog hair. I still haven't opened it. Afraid, very afraid..