Follow Us @burtonreview

May 14, 2009

Booking Through Thursday

Booking Through Thursday is hosted here

Mariel suggested this week’s question:
Book Gluttony! Are your eyes bigger than your book belly? Do you have a habit of buying up books far quicker than you could possibly read them? Have you had to curb your book buying habits until you can catch up with yourself? Or are you a controlled buyer, only purchasing books when you have run out of things to read?
OOOH OOHH This is an easy one of course!! Any blogger out there who has seen my Mailbox Monday knows I am a gluttonous P I G!! Of course on this equation it is not the Book Buying only, it is the Book REQUESTING! And I am soooo baaad.. LOL But I am getting better. I have been able to "walk away" from available books up for request quite a few times now, it only took my first month of requests to come to my doorstep to make me realize that quality is so much better than quantity.
As far as buying, about once a month I decide which books I want to spend money on, and I do the online shopping thing. I never ever pay full price for a book. I buy the used ones that are available from other sources through Amazon, Alibris or Thriftbooks, etc. I would go broke if I bought all the books that are on my virtual TBR pile. Such as my Waiting on Wednesday Posts, if I bought all those, my husband would not approve. Especially yesterday's pick, as it is retail for $95.00! What the heck is that all about I have not figured out yet. Perhaps the pages are gilded with gold?
I also realized yesterday that I am two-books deep per shelf, and I am dangerously close to running out of room. So I don't know what I am going to do next week when my Amazon order comes in. (hee-hee)
If I had a library here that had a loan system, I might be buying less books. Of course they do not have many of the Historical books that I prefer to buy but they do have some of the older ones, and a couple on Anne Boleyn books that are on my TBR list. Every time I look for them they are checked out, I cannot understand why they do not have a waiting list or a hold program, this drives me bonkers. If they have the technology to have their catalog online, why can't they just add a button that says "Put on hold" or something. AH I digress, again.
What about you? Are you a gluttonous pig?