Follow Us @burtonreview

Oct 1, 2009

Booking Through Thursday~ Tell the TRUTH!

Booking Through Thursday is hosted by Deb.

Deb asks:
Suggested by Monibo:
Saw this article (from March) and thought it would make a good BTT confessional question:
Two-thirds of Brits have lied about reading books they haven’t. Have you? Why? What book?

Wow, I was astounded to learn about lying Brits, that's pretty strange and I would love to know why, and the reasoning behind that. I can't think of any book I would have lied about reading, and can't think of why I would in the first place; certainly not as an adult.

Even in school I can't imagine why I would come across the need to say I've read something when I really had not. I'd be interested in the circumstances for why someone would feel the need to lie about something mundane as this.

From the article:

"According to the survey, 65 percent of people have pretended to have read books, and of those, 42 percent singled out "1984." Next on the list came "War and Peace" by Leo Tolstoy and in third place was James Joyce's "Ulysses."
The Bible was in fourth position, and newly elected U.S. President Barack Obama's autobiography "Dreams from My Father" came ninth."

Ok I've never read any of those books listed. Snippets from the Bible in my earlier days but nothing in the last 15 years, and I doubt I'll ever be able to say I've completed it. I think that would be good to do when I'm done reading some of the biblical fiction I have now, so that I would be able to discern the many different characters better. And of course there is the whole faith thing, I need to be in the right mind for that as well and be ready to put on my thinking cap for that one. My heart is open but I know I'll need a 'philosophical' aspect for that important read.

I also believe I was forced to read Ulysses in high school but I may not even be right about that, so I wouldn't put that on my have-read list along with most of those I was forced to read in high school. We read The Odyssey, I do remember, but the ones that I enjoyed were Shakespeare and To Kill A Mockingbird, Cheaper by The Dozen (AWESOME!).. and those were the ones I can recall. We read an Agatha Christie in ninth grade which was great also. I've never read Tolstoy, Chekov, etc. I think I did study James Joyce in college but couldn't tell you what, I just remember the professor really really loved him. My mind was on other things.

But back to question.. NO is the short answer =)