Follow Us @burtonreview

Oct 29, 2009

Booking Through Thursday~ Blurbs

Booking Through Thursday is hosted by Deb:
Suggested by Jennysbooks:

Something I’ve been thinking about lately: “What words/phrases in a blurb make a book irresistible? What words/phrases will make you put the book back down immediately?”


AAAH, Blurbage. Also known as garbage. All I know is the blurb on Palace Circle by Rebecca Dean was such a turn off for me. Palace Circle was a historical fiction novel, set in the WWII days, and the blurb was a look-like a tacky purple star sticker (on my cover) on an otherwise pretty cover: "IF YOU LIKE PHILIPPA GREGORY YOU WILL LOVE THIS BOOK" ~ NORA ROBERTS
Not really the best recommendation, because there are actually tons of people who despise P. Gregory. And Nora Roberts? Well I can't say anything about her, I haven't the faintest.
Then the descriptive blurb on the cover that oversold it was WWII and glamour etc. which it didn't really fit the bill for it so I was disappointed with it. Misleading it was.
And I would prefer the cover to be free of blurbs just for the sake of the beauty of the cover. I am definitely a judge-a-book-by-its-cover girl, and not a blurb girl. Some of the blurbs seem to have a WTF?!! factor as well and that would anger me if I read a book because of a blurb that in fact was misleading.

I also don't enjoy reading blurbs/praise for previous works printed on an author's newest book (save it for the first few pages perhaps); it's kind of a turn-off for me, as I think the new book should stand on its own spine by itself.

As far as irresistible blurbs, I don't know of one yet. If its "epic" or "saga", that genre interests me so perhaps that would make me look twice.

Do you have a blurbage opinion?


P.S. The hockey game last night was awesome! A rocky start, but my Dallas Stars beat Toronto Maple Leafs in Overtime, 4-3
I was so glad to actually get out and enjoy life outside of either work and cartoons. And my hubby was pretty nice to me too. But now it's back to work, and have to work on Payroll today.

Bookmark and Share