Follow Us @burtonreview

Jun 11, 2009

Booking Through Thursday - My Niche




Deb said:

There are certain types of books that I more or less assume all readers read. (Novels, for example.)
But then there are books that only YOU read. Instructional manuals for fly-fishing. How-to books for spinning yarn. How to cook the perfect souffle. Rebuilding car engines in three easy steps. Dog training for dummies. Rewiring your house without electrocuting yourself. Tips on how to build a NASCAR course in your backyard. Stuff like that.
What niche books do YOU read?


Hmm.. perhaps I have not found my niche? Because nothing comes to mind right off the bat. Something that the average reader would not want to read is a book of Genealogy graphs on all the Royal Families of Europe dating back to the Middle Ages, and I would read that cover to cover.. and back again probably 5 or 6 times a year.

That would be something that may be a bit extreme to the average reader. But since I do not own a book of Genealogy graphs like that (do you know of one?? Let me know!) instead I read Who's Who in Tudor England by C. Routh, and Who's Who in Late Medieval England by Hicks.

These get picked up when I am reading about a specific person in those eras and use the info there as a backdrop to whatever book I am reading at the time.



And then while my answer here is not at all unique, the answer to what my niche is is anything and everything related to the Tudor period as my first choice, and the Plantagenet era is second choice.


Do you have a niche? What is it?