Follow Us @burtonreview

Jun 27, 2009

The Sunday Salon - Plenty of Plaidy and Dragons!

The Sunday Salon.com



"What is the Sunday Salon? Imagine some university library's vast reading room. It's filled with people--students and faculty and strangers who've wandered in. They're seated at great oaken desks, books piled all around them, and they're all feverishly reading and jotting notes in their leather-bound journals as they go. Later they'll mill around the open dictionaries and compare their thoughts on the afternoon's literary intake...."

Hello my blogger buds. Welcome to today's Sunday Salon.. where we talk about books. And blogs, and stuff.

The highlight of my week was when I had the opportunity to read and review the book "Twilight of Avalon" by Anna Elliott, and she wrote a very interesting piece for my blog which I am thrilled to offer you here. I really appreciate the wonderful comments everyone left on my posts, they were very rewarding!

I did manage to read a good book this week, Partners, by David McGowan. My review is posted beneath this post, or click here. I am also giving the book away to help spread the word for a new author, as it really was a good easy read despite the stigma that self published books get.

I am now on to the next book in my to review pile and it is a reissue by Miep Gies called "Anne Frank Remembered: The Story of the Woman who Helped Hide the Frank Family". I could only find this reissue on the Amazon.uk website. I have a few books on my to be read pile that deal with WWII and I am interested in learning more about the many effects of wars and the lessons that should be learned from them. I had read and reviewed Burnt Shadows recently and I really enjoyed that one due to its splendid prose. Other than that I have not really read many wartime books probably due to the seriousness of the subject matter. I can now appreciate the depth of these stories and the consequences that we should respond to.

On a much more pleasurable note, I have another bookcase to add to the Burton household. This one is in my bedroom, which is now a relaxing haven if only I could stay in there and keep the kids out. I have my small favorite bookcase in there that holds my favorite Tudor/Wars of The Roses titles and this new bookcase holds my Jean Plaidy a.k.a. Victoria Holt collection. So if my counts are accurate I have 57 Plaidy titles, 8 by V. Holt and one by Phillippa Carr (another pseudonym). And most important: ROOM TO GROW! So I quickly snatched up a few more books from Abebooks to add to the collection which completes many of the series for me, I'll post those additions on a Mailbox Monday post when they arrive. I am still having difficulty getting a good price on the Plantagenet series, which is where my holes are now. The funny thing is that on Thursday we had a "sorting" question on our meme post, and everyone was different on how they sort their books. And of course the Plaidy Bookcase has the series in chronological order on the shelves but my husband is having difficulty with how there are paperbacks mixed in with a few hardcovers (the horror!).. he wants to see it flowing by size. I adamantly told him to get over it!! (But thank you honey for the new bookcase!)


The Miscellaneous Holt etc. are on the bottom shelf. When I actually do have the complete Plaidy collection I'll have to probably boot out a couple of the Holts, or just stack them on top of each other. If you enjoy Jean Plaidy then you really need to check out Royal Intrigue.

Do you see the curio next to the bookcase? Those are Krystonia dragons, from when I collected them a long time ago. They are still cute and whimsical to me. I started collecting them in 1992 and they are still in production which I just found out and that surprises me. Of course with the advent of Ebay they are not worth what I paid for them back then, but I enjoy their cute faces. The Krystonia line also produced four books detailing the events of the dragons and wizards, for which I have two of those books somewhere. A great teen read they were.

Thanks for reading folks, I hope you have a wonderful week!