Follow Us @burtonreview

Jun 17, 2009

Booking Through Thursday - Fantasy


Deb said: One of my favorite sci-fi authors (Sharon Lee) has declared June 23rd Fantasy and Science Fiction Writers Day.
As she puts it:
'So! In my Official Capacity as a writer of science fiction and fantasy, I hereby proclaim June 23 Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers Day! A day of celebration and wonder! A day for all of us readers of science fiction and fantasy to reach out and say thank you to our favorite writers. A day, perhaps, to blog about our favorite sf/f writers. A day to reflect upon how written science fiction and fantasy has changed your life.
So … what might you do on the 23rd to celebrate? Do you even read fantasy/sci-fi? Why? Why not?'

Science Fiction is not my forte. When I first started to read adult books when I was in 5th grade I did read a lot of science fiction because that is what was available to me for some reason. I have no idea who I read, lots of alien things that I did not understand. The one that stays with me though is Stephen King's The Eyes of The Dragon. I re-read that several times, and I also enjoyed Tolkien in High School. As far as life changing, no, I don't think that happened.

Something that is really perking my curiosity is the King Arthur Legend. Although not science fiction, this is mythical and fantasy lore. I am really enjoying Anna Elliott's Twilight of Avalon, which deals with Anna's view on when Isolde and Trystan meet and their adventure together. But the innuendos to the legends that had become before her are so interesting to me.

We remember King Arthur married his Guenevere, and that his advisor was Merlin. Yet Arthur and his half-sister Morgan had a son Modred. And then Modred and Guenevere are parents to Isolde. Confused yet?

But the story is so intriguing that I am going to be reading many more books surrounding the legend, such as the Isolde Trilogy by Rosalind Miles and Joseph Bedier's Classic, Tristan and Iseult. Go to this site and download the EBook for free.

On Tuesday, 6/23 = Science Fiction Fantasy Day, I will celebrate by posting my review of Anna Elliott's Twilight of Avalon, complete with links to more Arthurian Lore sites.