Follow Us @burtonreview

Oct 7, 2012

It's Monday! What are you reading?

What are you Reading?

This meme is hosted by Sheila at Book Journey where we keep track of what we are currently reading and plan to read.

Mailbox Monday is a meme originally from Marcia's Mailbox and can be found here for October.
Just one on my mailbox this week, YAY!!

The Memory Jar by Tricia Goyer

Every year, 30--40 young Amish men descend on the cozy little town of West Kootenai, Montana, arriving in the spring to live there for six months and receive 'resident' status for the hunting season in the fall. They arrive as bachelors, but go home with brides. Sarah Shelter has lived in West Kootenai for the last ten years and wonders if she will ever fall in love. Since the tragic death of her best friend, she carries her memories in a jar along with the small items connected to them. For just as long, she's also been carrying around her emotions instead of allowing them to penetrate deep into her heart. Now she's met a kind and gentle man who may be able to break down the wall. But can Sarah risk her heart to finally achieve her dreams?


Reviews posted the previous week:

The Shadowy Horses by Susanna Kearsley (recommended, I am now looking for more of her work!)
Queen of the Waves by Janice Thompson (too many improbable circumstances for my tastes)

What I've just read:


Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
I really enjoyed this story of a strong willed nun who is just now being recognized in October as a Doctor of the Church;  my review is coming this week. In the meantime, you have an opportunity to win this one over at my sister site HF-Connection.


No Safe Harbor: Edge of Freedom Series #1 by Elizabeth Ludwig
This was an intriguing historical romantic suspense.. Irish lass in New York City has no clue how to keep a secret and has zero judgement of character.. but still a good story! Review to come soon.


What I'm reading:
A Dangerous Inheritance: A novel of Tudor Rivals and The Secret of the Tower by Alison Weir

Don't read this one too close to reading Philippa Gregory's The Kingmaker's Daughter or you'll find your eyes glazing over during the 'Kate' Plantaganet parts. This novel has a double timeline, featuring Richard III's bastard daughter Kate (who?) and then Lady Jane Grey's younger sister Katherine Grey. It pretty much starts with Richard III seizing the Woodville brothers who he later executes with no legal reasoning and since I just read Gregory's book about all this I am finding myself very, very bored of Richard III. And I never thought I would say I am looking forward to the Tudor part of the book that features Katherine Grey; she and the younger sister Mary have always intrigued me. I still haven't read The Sisters Who Would Be Queen featuring the Grey sisters, even though I bought it in November 2009. Story of my life.

What I'm reading next:
I hope I won't have to set this Weir aside to prepare for the Here Be Dragons read along! That would mean book #3 that I still have to finish before 2013 comes knocking. Yuck. If you haven't read Here Be Dragons by Penman, you should join us at HF-Connection! Here are some details of the event.

What are you reading?