Follow Us @burtonreview

Jan 23, 2009

Ice and Life

Picture = 1/10/2009 12:14 p.m.

Back when Texas had it's ice storm a few weeks ago I tried capturing pic on my cell phone. The ice on the branches was so very pretty that I really wanted a picture of it. I had taken it from inside my office and you see the glare a bit from a window ;) It is not a great picture but I had forgotten I had sent it via email to the blog on my cell phone. As I mentioned before, isn't technology awesome? Too bad the clarity leaves a lot to be desired though.

Otherwise, here it is, another Friday to conquer. It is beautiful Texas weather. Yesterday was my now 7 yr. old's birthday, and it was 80°. Today it shall again top out at 79°. I am so thrilled that it is January, and I get to enjoy this type of weather. God Blessed Texas!

I grew up in N.Y. with cold winters and a lot of snow, and it wasn't bad to be a young one playing in that snow. But, I got older and had responsibilities and places to be. It was the winter of '93, and the snow just kept coming and coming. I parked my car down the block so it wouldn't get plowed in, and I still had to dig it out. I was so sick of it, slipping and sliding down Nesconset Highway because they would not close the Smithaven Mall where I worked. I decided right then and there that this was the LAST winter I would spend in NY!! I was 20 and living with my dad, and just didn't have a real goal anymore. I was not happy with my situation so that Christmas Day of '93 I called my mum in TX and asked if I could move down to TX with her. She seemed thrilled (in hindsight she is probably kicking herself) and the deal was done. With the help of my boyfriend, I started packing my belongings and for 5 months we UPS'ed stuff to TX.

My pops didn't believe me when I told him. He was still dumbstruck on May 31, 1994 as I was gathering the cat to come with me, and I was getting a ride to airport. Me, my cat named Stryper after the band, and my backpack. It was a major decision, leaving friends and a boyfriend behind, and my father and brother of course. I have no regrets to the move itself, just wish that perhaps the distance wasn't so great. The biggest loss was my best friend, who is still my friend, but I had taken her presence and support for granted. I missed her every day.

Time passed and I let things go.. I let people seem out of sight, out of mind. That was my fault, and I am working on rebuilding those relationships that I lost that I care about. As much as I have wished a lot of my past in NY would stay in the darkness, there are people that I'd like to stay here with me in the light.