Follow Us @burtonreview

May 1, 2010

The Sunday Salon~ My Brain Hurts

The Sunday Salon.com

Happy Sunday! Sip along with your frappe from McD's, click the pics to visit other virtual reading rooms.. tell us..what are you reading this week??

I finished The Confessions of Catherine de Medici by C.W. Gortner (there will be losts of buzz about this very soon!), and just started the huge new Sourcebooks release by Edith Pargeter The Brothers of Gwynedd. Sourcebooks is having a Summer Reading Group with this read, and although the new book contains the original four novels of the series, we will host a blog chat night each month for one book at a time. The first book in the series is titled The Sunrise in The West. That is what I am reading now, and I will stop at the end of the first book and pick something else up.. hopefully TUDOR related.

The Tudor Mania Challenge is UNDERWAY! Add your review links from May through July on the challenge post and you can win your choice of a book from the Book Depository worth $15.

The Book Giveaway for The Darcy Cousins by Monica Fairview concluded last night. The two lucky winners have been e-mailed. They were KATY and CHRISTINE!! oops~~ Katy was already a winner of this book, so the next one up is CARRIE!! Congrats to these winners. Please be sure to read the first in the series, The Other Mr Darcy, before delving into this one, as it really helps set up the setting and the many characters. I enjoyed the first book, but I loved the newest book. Great regency fun!

Still ongoing is the Giveaway for the newest Tudor release by D.L. Bogdan, Secrets of The Tudor Court. My review is here which I just posted; you have got to read this book if you like Tudor fiction. I really enjoyed this story of Mary Howard, who was the daughter of the famous Thomas Howard otherwise known as Norfolk. Thomas was the wicked uncle to Queens Catherine Howard and Queen Anne Boleyn. My husband surprised me this week with the DVDs of the first three seasons of Showtime's The Tudors. The cover of the third scene shows a few naked bodies strategically photographed. So we know what season 3 is all about. Soft p*rn?

Last Saturday I finished up Mitchell James Kaplan's magnificent debut By Fire, By Water (May 18, 2010) which was not a mirthful or fast read, yet an important one that I did enjoy. Review will post this coming week. So I yearned for something fast and easy, which I found in Jean Kwok's debut novel. I read it in one day, staying up until midnight to do so, and I reviewed Girl in Translation already. What a sad but great story about a young girl growing up in poverty in Brooklyn. This was a girl who made something of herself, so it is not a woe is me story. A well written story that sucks you in, and you can win the book also but you have to act fast. Enter here.

Jean Kwok has started her Book Tour as well, I am sending Lizzy my ARC so she can have Jean sign my book for me. She will be in Beaverton, Oregon on May 7th at Powell's so if you are in the area, say hi to Lizzy and Jean! Here is a list of her book signing events. Some places she will be in are North Carolina, Georgia, Washington State and California.

The Masked Ball is underway as Mesmered's Blog... furious dancing is wearing me out. Mr Darcy eat your heart out! Follow along here.

What are you reading this week? Are you enjoying spring weather? I cannot believe that May is already here! Summer will be here and we will be sunning ourselves and jumping in pools soon! Exciting! Things are very busy around here and promising to get busier. I hope I get a chance to read! And I hope you get some great reading in, and hopefully it is Tudor Themed =)