Follow Us @burtonreview

Mar 10, 2013

Sunday Monday Bookish News

The Sunday Salon.com   
Visit Svea's blog at The Muse in The Fog Book Review to start linking up your Sunday posts; Suddenly Sunday is a weekly event hosted by Svea whose purpose is to share all the exciting events that have occurred on your blog throughout the week.

Mailbox Monday is a meme originally from Marcia's Mailbox and is being hosted by Caitlin @ chaotic compendiums. The Story Siren also hosts IMM, so we can find some cool YA titles there as well.


In the Mail: Lots of book twos!!!!!!!
AMAZING 1973 cover, lol
Henry of the High Rock (Henry I book 2, Of The Ring of Earls was first) by Juliet Dymoke
When Rufus is murdered after William the Conqueror dies, Genry wins the throne, acts contrite, and wins love as well.

Lucky me I got the first book in time for this post:
Another fabulous 1973 cover!
Of the Ring of Earls by Juliet Dymoke
In the darkness rain had begun to fall...He was drained, exhausted, could hear nothing, see nothing but Telham ridge and the silent dead lying in the darkness-Leofwine staring sightless at the sky, Harold sprawled among the broken axes and smashed shields, and somewhere the dragon banner trampled into the bloodied ground by Norman hooves'. William of Normandy had come, had triumphed. Many of the English nobility lay dead, and for the survivors, including Waltheof of Huntingdon, the future could hold no certainties.


Shattered (book 2 Alaskan Courage) by Dani Pettrey
A Thrilling New Romantic Suspense from the Genre's Newest Star Piper McKenna couldn't be more thrilled that her prodigal brother, Reef, has returned to Yancey, Alaska, after five years. But her happiness is short-lived when Reef appears at her house covered in blood. A fellow snowboarder has been killed--but despite the evidence, Reef swears he's innocent. And Piper believes him. Deputy Landon Grainger loves the McKennas like family, but he's also sworn to find the truth. Piper is frustrated with his need for facts over faith, but he knows those closest to you have the power to deceive you the most. With his sheriff pushing for a quick conviction, some unexpected leads complicate the investigation, and pursuing the truth may mean risking Landon's career. With Piper waging her own search, the two head deep into Canada's rugged backcountry--and unexpected complications. Not only does their long friendship seem to be turning into something more, but this dangerous case is becoming deadlier with each step.
(I actually have book 1, which I want to read first).


A Bloom In Winter (Summerset Abbey book 2) by T.J. Brown
The highly anticipated second installment in the Summerset Abbey series, which picks up just after the climatic conclusion of book one. After Prudence’s desperate marriage and move to Devonshire, sisters Rowena and Victoria fear they have lost their beloved friend forever. Guilt-ridden and remorseful, Rowena seeks comfort from a daring flyboy and embraces the most dangerous activity the world has ever seen, and Victoria defies her family and her illness to make her own dream occupation as a botanist come true. As England and the world step closer to conflict, the two young women flout their family, their upbringing, and their heritage to seize a modern future of their own making. 
(now I need book 1, I think this was from Shelf Awareness and of course I didn't realize there was a book 1).


Another fun oldie but goodie::

Lilith by Jean Plaidy/Victoria Holt
Mistress and servant, they shared a grandfather, friendship, adventures, and a surprising destiny. There's actually a lot more on the backflap.. If I remember I'll try to post some of it here..


The Scarlet Cloak by Jean Plaidy
In the years 1572-1578, when the faith and fanaticism of one man - King Philip II of Spain - trouble the whole of Europe, His Most Catholic Majesty's plans against accused heretics meet with stubborn, angry resistance. Dashing Blasco Carramadino and his devout older brother, Domingo, live in the quiet province of Andalusia, where the king's fanaticism is rarely felt. But soon they will be caught in a web of intrigue, as Philip plots the overthrow of England and its return to the one true faith. It is a period when the clash of ideals breeds great courage and stoutly adventurous spirits, a time that will test the mettle of the two brothers, and of the Protestant women they have come to love.



Love in the Balance by Regina Jennings (I absolutely LOVED Sixty Acres and A Bride, but somehow the reviews on GR are already dipping below the favored four star mark. I am concerned.)
Molly Lovelace dreams of a life without cares in Lockhart, Texas. She also dreams of handsome wrangler Bailey Garner, her ardent but inconsistent beau. The problem is, with Bailey's poor prospects, she just can't fit the two dreams together. 
Then mysterious stranger Edward Pierrepont sweeps into town--and her life--and for the first time Molly wonders if she's met the man who can give her everything. But he won't be in Lockhart long and while he talks about their glorious future together, she can't quite get Bailey out of her mind. What's a girl to do with all these decisions when love is in the balance?


Currently Reading:
It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

The What Are You Reading meme is hosted by Sheila at Book Journey where we keep track of what we are currently reading and plan to read.

I have slowed the pace down with the reading of the novels as I am reading devotional type titles during lent. After finishing Forsaken Dreams (Escape to Paradise) (I reviewed it here, loved it!) I started to read The End of the Point: A Novel by Elizabeth Graver. It is somewhere in between literary and historical as a family deals with the war effort that is going on basically on the front porch of their summer home. I am not sure I am cut out to appreciate the depressive nuances of literary novels, and this narrative is just weird with basically giving out the ending as the narrator is explaining a person. I am so ready to be done with it and move on. Definitely not as fun as Forsaken Dreams was, which you should read if you like Christian Historicals at all.
 I also completed my review for Draw the Circle: The 40 Day Prayer Challenge even though I haven't finished it yet since it's a passage a day type of thing. (I had to post something by a certain date so it's there in a nutshell). A very good inspirational tool to use as a daily mini-devotional, it is a keeper and I bring it back and forth to work with me. All of these titles are available now.


Coming Up...

This week my review of the newest Tudor novel, The Queen's Gambit by Elizabeth Fremantle, will post. It's got lots of lovely reviews on Goodreads thus far, you can see if I agree or not.

The review pile is actually creeping up on me again. And today starts the Read Along of Snare of Serpents over at the Victoria Holt Goodreads group so I think I may not be able to participate. If I was at my normal reading pace I probably would have been fine, but I just feel like I've been so busy lately plus the newest crud factor in my head that is making me want to sleep forever. Love in the Balance (pictured above in my mailbox feature) is going to be read next for review, and I wanted to try and sneak in both of Dani Pettrey's books. But I can say that I am keeping up with the daily Bible Study, as that is my first priority. I am about halfway through the Prophetic books as I type (I never would have thought that Jonah and my husband were similar in nature!). And then it's on to the New Testament!!! Very excited. I can't say enough about the study bible that I am using, I love it and highly recommend it, and this informative book is why I haven't been reading a lot of other stuff lately =)

Big kudos to the Goodreads group who keeps me on top of my bible plan.

Speaking of Goodreads, I just noticed that there is a challenge of Christian Historical Books for 2013 that I joined. No hoops or posts required, you just create a shelf for your 2013 CHF titles, and those will be counted towards the challenge. Here is the link to challenge, where you can set the challenge up with the number of books you want to try and read. As you read a title on the 2013 CHF shelf, your tally will get updated.

There are two Bookish Photo Challenges going on for March via Instagram right now. #estellagram and #bsmphotoaday and you can find my entries under @BurtonReview. If you are participating, leave me your handle!

OH, also a shout out the History Channel with the two new progams, The Bible and the Vikings! Loved them both! A nice change of pace for them, since every time I turn that channel on it's all about The Pawn Stars.

Over on my other blog I am running a giveaway for Elizabeth Chadwick's Shadows and Strongholds. This is a book I read in January and I loved it, it's my favorite of the seven of hers that I've read thus far. Elizabeth Chadwick has been kind enough to answer questions on the giveaway guest post also, so go check that out here!

Edit to add.. since I just finished The End of The Point, goodreads says I've read 5,142 pages in 2013! This doesn't included currently reading, such as the Bible.. and I've now made it to Matthew!! I am so excited to have reached this milestone!!! SQUEEE!!