Follow Us @burtonreview

Nov 30, 2012

The 2013 TBR Pile Challenge!!


When I first saw this challenge, I knew this was a challenge that I NEEDED to do. The goal is to pick 12 books from your personal collection that have been sitting there for over a year. Like our challenge host Adam at Roof Beam Reader, I am a sucker for a good looking book at the bookstore. If it looks like I would like to read it, I buy it. MUST STOP! What a fire hazard of paper my house has become. I keep collecting and collecting and piling and piling and piling till I give myself a panic attack when I am in line at the store and I wonder.. "Wait.. don't I have this already?!"

I've never really completed many challenges, especially when there is a lot of back and forth posting and jazz that I can't keep up with, but this one has to be done before I buy another book!! (yeah, right?!)

So, now is the time to pick twelve titles from our humongous list of books that have been slowly collecting dust for at least a year. And in case there is a dud among the group, we get to pick 2 alternates. This was SO HARD to do.. I mean committing to reading my own books finally?!?! I hope I chose well.

1. Legacy: The Acclaimed Novel of Elizabeth the Most Passionate Queen and the Three Men Who Loved Her by Susan Kay

2. Charlotte and Emily: A Novel of the Brontes by Jude Morgan

3. Shadows and Strongholds by Elizabeth Chadwick DONE!

4. The Yellow House by Patricia Falvey DONE!

5. The Miracle at St. Bruno's by Philippa Carr DONE!

6. The Bastard King by Jean Plaidy DONE!

7. Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks

8.  Girl in a Blue Dress by Gaynor Arnold

9. Frenchman's Creek by Daphne DuMaurier DONE!

10. Galway Bay by Mary Pat Kelly

11. To The Tower Born: A Novel of the Lost Princes by Robin Maxwell DONE!

12. Katherine by Anya Seton DONE!


ALTERNATES, just in case I need them...
1. With Violets by Elizabeth Robards
2. Eve of the Isle by Carol Rivers


This post will be updated as I read the above books which will then be linked up to the review. The Good Lord willing.

The books I've completed are:
Shadows and Strongholds by Elizabeth Chadwick, published 2005

Frenchman's Creek by Daphne Du Maurier, originally published  1941

To The Tower Born by Robin Maxwell, originally published 2005
The Miracle at St. Bruno's by Philippa Carr, published 1972

The Bastard King by Jean Plaidy, published 1977
The Yellow House by Patricia Falvey, published 2010
Katherine by Anya Seton, early 1950's