Follow Us @burtonreview

Jul 16, 2012

Mailbox Monday

Welcome to Mailbox Monday, the weekly meme created by Marcia from A girl and her books (formerly The Printed Page) where book lovers share the titles they received for review, purchased, or otherwise obtained over the past week. Mailbox Monday is now on tour, and for July, your host is Mrs. Q Book Addict

Hello again! I missed posting last week, summer isn't really slowing the craziness in my life..I had another darn birthday and played with my presents all week.
But I didn't want to miss sharing some of the books coming my way..
For the near future, however, I expect there may be some more skipped Mailbox Mondays since I must.stop.accepting.books. or I will burn my library down.

This first book is special, because I need to see what I can do to help a friend who had a bad experience with Christianity. I am hoping I will be able to learn something from this one that will help me help my friend.

When Bad Christians Happen to Good People by Dave Burchett
Help for those who have been harmed by Christians–and those who have inflicted the wounds. Throughout history, Christians have done considerable damage to others–both independently and in the name of Christ. Each time this occurs, one of God’s precious creations is wounded and the church’s witness to the world is grievously weakened.

For years, unbelievers and Christians have rejected the church because of damaging encounters with a Christian, a Christian leader, or a group of Christians. No matter how much we wish to reverse the damage, however, we cannot reach the unchurched with the life-changing message of the gospel–nor can we protect those still within the body–unless we insist upon dramatic changes within our church communities.

Targeting every person who has ever been hurt by a Christian–as well as those believers responsible for inflicting such damaging wounds–author Dave Burchett calls for a new way of relating that will bring healing to the church and transform our witness to the world
.


I bought this one because I loved the first two books of the Two Crosses trilogy, this one is a stand-alone (I have the third of the trilogy to also read soon):
by Elizabeth Musser
Looking forward to this!
The Sweetest Thing by Elizabeth Musser
The Singleton family's fortunes seem unaffected by the Great Depression, and Perri--along with the other girls at Atlanta's elite Washington Seminary--lives a carefree life of tea dances with college boys, matinees at the cinema, and debut parties. But when tragedies strike, Perri is confronted with a world far different from the one she has always known.
At the insistence of her parents, Mary "Dobbs" Dillard, the daughter of an itinerant preacher, is sent from inner-city Chicago to live with her aunt and attend Washington Seminary, bringing confrontation and radical ideas. Her arrival intersects at the point of Perri's ultimate crisis, and the tragedy forges an unlikely friendship.
"The Sweetest Thing" tells the story of two remarkable young women--opposites in every way--fighting for the same goal: surviving tumultuous change.


And then to complete my Tamera Alexander collection, I bought:
by Tamera Alexander

Revealed by Tamera Alexander (Fountain Creek Chronicles #2)
Words, once spoken, can mend a broken life…or cripple it. But words left unspoken can haunt the soul, inflicting a far deeper wound.

Annabelle Grayson has been given a second chance at life, but she can't claim it with the cloud of her past hanging over her in Willow Springs. After her husband dies, she advertises for a trail guide to accompany her to land waiting for her in Idaho—and a most unlikely candidate applies for the job.

Matthew Taylor is a man on the run, with consequences of past mistakes pursuing him at every turn. Meeting Annabelle Grayson the first time was unpleasant enough, but when she crosses his path again, her presence in his life—and what she reveals—is devastating. If given a single wish, Matthew would turn back time and right a grievous wrong. If given a second wish, he would make Annabelle Grayson pay.


From a Goodreads Giveaway:
Bernie McGill

 The Butterfly Cabinet by Bernie McGill
McGill delivers a haunting, unforgettable story--based on real events in late 19th-century Ireland--of two women linked by a tragic, 70-year secret.


And from a twitter giveaway! YES!
(I really need to get book one now, I wanted it last year, but my request was politely ignored)
Ted Dekker
Mortal by Ted Dekker and Tosca Lee (The Books of Mortals #2)
Centuries have passed since civilization's brush with apocalypse. The world's greatest threats have all been silenced. There is no anger, no hatred, no war. There is only perfect peace...and fear. A terrible secret was closely guarded for centuries: every single soul walking the earth, though in appearance totally normal, is actually dead, long ago genetically stripped of true humanity.

Nine years have gone by since an unlikely hero named Rom Sebastian first discovered a secret and consumed an ancient potion of blood to bring himself back to life in Forbidden. Surviving against impossible odds, Rom has gathered a secret faction of followers who have also taken the blood-the first Mortals in a world that is dead.

But The Order has raised an elite army to hunt and crush the living. Division and betrayal threaten to destroy the Mortals from within. The final surviving hope for humanity teeters on the brink of annihilation and no one knows the path to survival.

On the heels of Forbidden comes MORTAL, the second novel in The Books of Mortals saga penned by Ted Dekker and Tosca Lee. Set in a terrifying, medieval future, where grim pageantry masks death, this tale of dark desires and staggering stakes peels back the layers of the heart for all who dare take the journey.

The Books of Mortals are three novels, each of which stands on its own, yet all are seamlessly woven into one epic thriller.



And then.. just to make sure I had WAY too many books toppling over..
by Gilbert Morris
This is the House of Winslow series, books 1 (on bottom) through 14 (on top) that I won on eBay, by Gilbert Morris. The books will stay on the desk in the library, with the rabbits, since I have nowhere else to put them. My shelves runneth over.

The House of Winslow series started in 1987, and goes (so far?!) to book 40 printed in 2007. The series is inspirational Christian historical fiction, with romantic themes, following the Winslow family in Colonial North America, beginning with the Mayflower, pilgrim settlements, pre-Revolutionary times, and onwards towards the Westward expansion, through the Civil War, you get the picture.

~~~~
I also received a few more for review, but since they are a thorn in my side... I am not dignifying their presence with a spotlight. I have not organized my summer reading as I had hoped, and I am fully booked (pun intended) with review books past September. Yep. And that's praying I read like two a week. Not likely.

Bah humbug.