Follow Us @burtonreview

Jun 8, 2012

Armchair BEA ~ Ask the Experts and The Future of Book Blogging


Today's topic at Armchair BEA is the Ask The Experts. But I wanted to tie in the other feature posting on the Armchair BEA blog, the future of book blogging, which is a great post in itself. I started this blog in 2008, and there were blogs out there but they were not as respected as they are today. I remember some rants going on about the definition of a book blog versus book critic and how the critic was professional and book bloggers were all just a bunch of morons wanting free books. I see the whole industry of Book Bloggers as proving ourselves worthy of praise, and I would love to remember who those critics were four years ago so I can see where they are now. Because, ya know, some of them were pretty mean.

Since I really don't have a question to ask an expert, I'll offer a tip. Don't get caught up in the drama. Just walk away. It can really ruin your day. Sometimes a silly comment aimed at your post or review is uncalled for.

I'll share a fun example.. Something that will confuse the heck out of you because the commenter was really off her rocker... but a teeny back story here:

One of the things about historical fiction and reviewing books that deal with 'real life' people (that lived hundreds of years ago) is that some folks dispute the evidence/facts/theories.

I reviewed a novel by Philippa Gregory once (the horror!!).. and all of a sudden a troll out of nowhere started commenting on all of my Tudor era-themed book reviews and ripped apart anything and everything that she wanted to.

Slightly psychotic rants, on a book review no less, such as:

"For the benefit of those who don't know I have today on You-Tube slapped down Phillipa Gregory not once but five times.

Isn't there something in the States called the Freedom of Information Act?"



"What a chapter of amazing coincidences.

Not only was I born under the sign of the Ox but Georgette Heyer happens to be one of my fave authors only one of six.

For the record the remaining five are Conan Doyle, Wilde, Sayers, Stephen King and MR James"

"As the saying is 'Walk into my parlour said the Spider to the Fly'

Thanks for walking into mine. For the record I don't rant and rave. Why should I when you and so many of your fellow contributors do it so much better than I ever could?"

Moral of this story:
1. Don't feed the trolls (like the one above).
2. Be careful what you put out there on your blog and comments elsewhere. The internet is here to stay, and so are your words.  (like the words of the troll above).

Previous Armchair BEA posts:
GIVEAWAY (today is the last day to enter!)

I had a lot of fun at the Twitter parties, and I enjoyed 'meeting' everyone!
I'd love it if you'll follow me on Facebook, Twitter, or Goodreads