Follow Us @burtonreview

May 28, 2009

Booking Through Thursday




In the perfect follow-up to last week’s question, as suggested by C in DC:
Is there a book that you wish you could “unread”? One that you disliked so thoroughly you wish you could just forget that you ever read it?


Ok well I thought and thought and thought... but I just cannot get past this pick because it is fresh in my mind full of disappointment. And I know there A LOT of people who will disagree with me... and everyone is entitled to their opinion... so here's mine:
"The Other Queen" by Phillippa Gregory


And to be honest.. I bet if I read her romance genre those would replace this one... But in efforts to complete the question The Other Queen wins it this time.
I am a fan of Bess of Hardwick, and maybe a supporter of Mary Queen of Scots, but in the book I was disgusted with how the whole angle of Mary and Bess's husband George played out. I know that it is a novel, and there is the poetic license to spice stuff up.. but that just threw the book out the window for me. This was a rare time when I had anticipated the arrival of a book long before its release, and pre-ordered and paid full price for it, and I was let down. If I got it from the library maybe I wouldn't have felt so bad. But I drove the book to the used book store before I even finished reading the last few pages I just couldn't take it anymore.

What about you? Do you have one of those you wish you had skipped? I know Misfit from At Home with a good book and the cat has many to choose from, she has her Wednesday WallBangers that make me laugh every time!