Follow Us @burtonreview

Apr 2, 2009

Booking Through Thursday



Suggested by Barbara:

I saw that National Library week is coming up in April, and that led to some questions. How often do you use your public library and how do you use it? Has the coffeehouse/bookstore replaced the library? Did you go to the library as a child? Do you have any particular memories of the library? Do you like sleek, modern, active libraries or the older, darker, quiet, cozy libraries?
Actually, just last year my local library was moved from an old, small building to a new $11 million dollar 52,000 sq. foot building around the block from where I work. That was an awesome thing in my little world. I even emailed my father about the progress of the library (and he lived 1500 miles away, RIP dad) that's how exciting it was. Unfortunately, it does not stock up on books on Royalty, the Tudors, or Medieval times. But I did use it for awhile there when it reopened and found a few books of enjoyment of course, namely Sharon Kaye Penman's Henry II series. They also had a couple of Anne Boleyn books. And I think they have some Starkey books and Antonia Fraser books so I didn't do so bad, I guess I did get a little lucky in that regard. They also have a used book area where they put donated books 'for sale', but it is really requesting a donation of your choice. I found some awesome books in that area, such as John Gillingham's Richard II, Norah Lofts' Rose of Virtue and a couple of older Edward (IV or V?) titles. I suppose these come from the patron's personal library and if you have the time to look through it you have a great possibility of the allusive find!
As far as my experiences with the Library as a child, ooooh there were many!!! Those days we had to do schoolwork that required research at the library, and I also used that as a quiet place away from it all. I discovered Judy Blume there, over and over again; Anne of Green Gables; Beverly Cleary etc. I also passed notes to boys in the local library as well, so it was not all just books books books. But I do remember biking the mile there and being happy to precariously ride home with an armful of books. The excitement and adrenaline of the new reads surpassed the dangers of falling off the bike.
I would prefer the less active, and quieter libraries but nowadays there are a lot of things going on at the library that prevent it from being the haven that it used to be. There are many computers for civilian use, there are computers for the kids, there are playzones in the kids areas.. all of which create more noise then the occasional 'shhhhhhhhh'. I remember my old library where I would most likely be the only one on the entire lower level and that was an awesome feeling.
Thanks for the awesome question to Booking Through Thursday, what fun to reminisce!